Onsite SEO has always been my favorite topic (as compared to offsite SEO or link building activities). This is mainly because I get to do things over which I have greater control in comparison with some of the things that I can’t change in life. Also, off site SEO can be damn expensive, at times, if you are looking for dramatic results.

During the last three four days, I did several changes to this blog – some visible changes and some not so. In this post, I would like to summarize the SEO related changes that I did and how I hope they will be of help to increase my search traffic.

Simple Blog SEO tips

The motives behind the change was to stop PR leak, improve internal linking, allow some of the selected posts to receive more PR juice, get more homepage search hits and stop PR leakage to external sites.

The following are the recent changes I made to achieve the above mentioned goals:

Top 50 posts linked from homepage

It is long since I had a recent posts list in my sidebar but I had a popular posts section for about four months now. I noticed that the search hits to those popular posts started increasing after I included them in the homepage. This gave me the idea to link more posts/pages from the home page. So I picked the top 50, categorized them (to help humans as well, not just bots) and linked them on the sidebar after cleaning up their long titles a bit. I will keep you updated on the results in a few weeks time.

Increased post count on homepage

Somehow, I have been stuck on to this idea of reducing the homepage length and always kept only 4 or 5 posts by default on the homepage. I, however, found out that increasing the number of posts to 10 or 12 actually improves your homepage keyword relevancy and hence improved search hits. For the time being, I have kept this count as 7 but hope to increase it to 10 soon. The keyword relevancy looks great now as projected by the meta analyzer tool. I hope this will increase the homepage search hits in the coming days.

Internal linking using the right permalink URLs

I had the habit of linking to my own posts via the WordPress default link structure (ie. mydomain.com/?p=nnn). I edited almost 150 posts recently to make use of the permalink URL for this internal linking purpose. I also edited the anchor text for many cases. This technic hopefully will yield better internal linking and also even better offsite value as well (when the blog feed is scrapped or when RSS directories pick up my feed)

More keywords

I have added a couple more keywords to the header hoping that I will rank better in some of them in the coming weeks/months. However, there is a little more to do here as I guess, I need to add some of the handpicked keywords from homepage posts need to be added (and periodically updated on fresh posting) as well. Hopefully, I can find or tweak some plugins to achieve this.

Removed commentluv and Top commenters plugins

I had removed the commentluv plugin a couple of weeks ago and now it is the turn of the Top commentators plugin. Of course, this was attracting some good comments but also the comments were getting a little wayward with a lot of keyword stuffing.

What is next?

In addition to the above, I have decided not to do any paid reviews (I hardly used to do 2-3 per year, anyhow) on this blog and not to use text link ads as well. I would like to stick with my blogroll that is dedicated for friends and will continue to evolve them for link building purpose. These will be moved to the footer soon once my footer widgetizing task is completed.

Deep linking is the route I am going to continue for link building and everone is free to contact me on potential deep link building activities as mentioned in a recent post.

Happy SEO!

Comments to: Blog Search Engine Optimization – Simple Tricks via Reorganizing Content

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Attach images - Only PNG, JPG, JPEG and GIF are supported.